Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Just a Glimpse of the Engagements

I am actually an incredibly private person when it comes to personal things. I feel like I'm not alone when I say this. Though at times I can be incredibly vocal, this doesn't mean that I want to discuss every bit of my life. They call it "personal" for a reason. After being able to hoard the beautiful pictures that our photographer Kelli Dee Mortensen took, I decided that I am finally comfortable sharing just a glimpse of the engagements.



It was an old picture of my parents that inspired my "Engagements". They were on the shores of Japan playing in the water and looking absolutely in love. When the time came for me to be taking my engagements, I pictured them and decided that I wanted something similar. This is why we decided to take our pictures along Utah Lake off Provo Center Street.



The shores are definitely not as pristine as one might hope but it honestly didn't matter. When I arrived for the shoot, I was frazzled and stressed. Getting ready had been a challenge and I hated how I looked. However once we got there and started playing in the water, I completely forgot about my frustrations and just had fun.


For anyone that might be uncomfortable posing for pictures, I recommend getting your pictures in a setting where you can play. I can smile just fine for pictures but being in the lake really made the whole experience FUN.



A good majority of my pictures are not Vogue worthy. They don't capture images of a couple oozing with sophistication and elegance. Instead my pictures are relaxed, goofy, happy, loving, and natural.



In my parent's pictures, they were all done in black and white. Its a look that I don't see too often in a couple's engagement pictures. Now a days there are so many different edits you can use on your pictures that make them very unique. Still, I wanted more of a timeless look and asked Kelli if we could get some in black and white.



During our engagement session, we got a good mix between more posed pictures and natural shots.



Of course I like to think that all the pictures were natural and not posed but then what couple is ever standing the ideal distance apart from each other looking in love and looking perfecting into the camera? Pretty much just William and Kate.



The surrounding area near the Utah Lake Marina is incredible. Everywhere you look its green. It was beautiful! We found a grove of trees that were kind of bent at weird angles. I couldn't help but climb one.



If you don't want to commit to a "beachy look" for your engagements, I highly recommend exploring the surrounding areas of the Marina. We were literally what I consider half a block away from Utah Lake State Park (the Marina).



I loved every bit of my Engagements Photo Session. I had a blast playing with Luke in the lake. Kelli was an awesome photographer really making me feel comfortable. I also had my friend Ally there as moral support; she is the best!



For anyone thinking about getting any kind of formal pictures taken I would definitely recommend the Utah Lake State Park and Marina. Even if you don't want to play in the water, the surrounding wildlife is breathtaking. I was amazed at all the beauty found so close to Provo! And for any of you who are wondering, "The Engagement Picture" is not among the bunch. You'll just have to look out for it in the mail!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me so happy that you took them on the Provo Shore. I like the laid-back feel to them a lot. My sister did super classy ones and that worked for her, but you guys look great and they still have a very classic feel to them. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete